Monday 19 March 2012

Five Cup Loaf

Ever looking for things to buy, recently renewed my long-forgotten membership of Simple Savings. Ironic, perhaps?* Still being in a splurge mode, I bought a copy of the $21 Challenge book, even though I figured a lot of the recipes would not be egg or dairy free.

Inside was a recipe for Five Cup Loaf***. It doesn't have any eggs and I realised the recipe could be easily modified for non-dairy milk. It's a nice, easy recipe, something I really like!



Five Cup Loaf
Ingredients
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup dessicated coconut
1 cup sultanas (or any dried fruit, I used a mix of currants & orange peel)
1 cup oat milk (or other non-dairy milk)

Method
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
  2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. A spoon will do.
  3. Pour into lined loaf tin.
  4. Bake for 40-45 mins until cake springs back when lightly touched in the centre.

Notes
  • Don't leave the mixture to stand too long, I left mine for a bit and the currants all ended up on the bottom
  • I used a large loaf tin, but I think you could do this in a small loaf tin and not cook it for as long, as it doesn't rise that much. The $21 challenge book says 25 min, but this wasn't the case for me.

* Simple Savings is a website devoted to teaching you how to save money. It can actually be very helpful, but initially you do have to fork out some dough!**
** Or just sign up for the free newsletter.
*** I've since found this recipe is quite common elsewhere. OK, that's probably enough with the asterisks now!

No comments: