Friday 15 July 2011

Pie!

I never thought I would be able to eat a pie with my Vegan Carnivore until he outgrew his allergy, but Egg- and Dairy-free Dad and Omnivore Girl made egg- and dairy-free pastry!! I am still so thrilled about this, even though the pie was made almost a week ago.







Since I didn't make it, I can't tell you how to make the pork & mushroom filling, but I can give you Egg- and Dairy-free Dad's description. As you can tell, he's not really very fond of Nuttelex.


I used this pie recipe as a basis
http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-recipes/desserts/vegan-pie-crust.htm


but there's not that much to it. what I really did was mix 3 cups of flour, about half a container of nuttelex <yecch> and a teaspoon or so of salt in the food processor. I added a tiny bit of cold water, but then it instantly felt like just a bit too much. It needs more salt.
 

Omnivore Girl helped to roll it out and prick the base, she just loves to cook. And then she loves to eat! As did her little brother and the rest of the family. There's nothing better than lovely crisp pastry. :o)

No comments: